At this time of year, we
- canoe on Wednesday evenings on the Gatineau River
- walk and dine on Thursday evenings in Ottawa
- bike on Saturdays
- hike on Sundays in Gatineau Park
- canoe on Sundays in Gatineau Park and nearby rivers and lakes
For our evening walks, we meet at the location and time in the schedule. For the other activities, we meet at the Sandy Hill Community Centre, 250 Somerset Street East (map), around the back near the parking lot, at the time specified in the schedule.
2016 OOC membership
Online OOC membership registration is available. Your membership will be valid until the end of this year.
Member or non-member, follow our Facebook group to join our conversation.
Who we are
Club members and visitors range from post-high-school to retirement age and, like Ottawa itself, are of many nationalities. We welcome children who are with their parent(s) or guardian(s).
The Ottawa Outdoor Club organizes day and weekend, environmentally-sound, outdoor recreational activities year-round at minimal cost for residents of and visitors to the Ottawa and Gatineau communities. Daytime outings are planned for nearly every Saturday and Sunday throughout the year. Weekend trips are typically to destinations in Ontario, Quebec, and the mountain ranges in New York and New England.
All outdoors activities are open to everyone. If you're not a member, we still look forward to seeing you; we'll ask you for the non-member fee, which you can apply fully to your membership fee when you join within a week. (Some caveats: the evening walks and Friday evening skates are free to all.) If you don't have a car, we car pool. Join us at the meeting location for the event, and we'll go from there.
Come alone or with friends; it's easy to join in:
- consult the events page to see what interests you
- check the requirements for the trip. A reasonable degree of—but not extreme—fitness is expected for most of our outings, as well as appropriate clothing, footwear, food, and liquid. If you have any questions about a trip, contact the trip leader in advance at the phone number, e-mail address, or Twitter handle provided
- meet at the indicated starting location at the time listed for instructions and arranging car-pooling
Members of the Club enjoy added benefits, such as Club discounts of up to 12% at local outdoor equipment shops; free general instruction of various activities; occasional subsidized courses in leadership training and wilderness first aid; and notification of social events throughout the year, including parties, movie outings, and other events.
We are a volunteer-run club and, as a result, prices are at cost.